I loooove me some stuffing at Thanksgiving time! This is my go-to recipe every year and it's just delicious! No apples, no sausage, no pecans, no oysters, no giblets....just plain ol' savory goodness from a mirepoix and some spices... enjoy!
- 4-5 cups or so of dried bread cubes (This year I used Trader Joe's cubes, which were a mixture of white bread and cornbread)
- mirepoix - equal amounts of finely chopped celery, onion, and carrot) I chopped about 3/4 cup of each.
- 3/4 stick of salted butter
- 2 mushrooms chopped (optional - I added these for flavor only)
- 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 2-3 TB fresh or dried parsley
- 2 TB sage (or to taste)
- 1 TB thyme (or to taste)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
In a mixing bowl, add the bread cubes and mirepoix mixture. Toss to coat. Add parsley, sage and thyme. Toss to coat.
Add the chicken broth, a little at a time, tossing thoroughly. Adjust to your liking...I like mine on the moist side, so I sometimes add more depending on the amount of bread cubes. Give it a taste test, and add more sage/thyme if necessary. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Adding rosemary is a nice touch, too.
Place in a covered casserole dish and bake for 40 mins.